Who We Are
The Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau is the official destination marketing organization of Galveston Island, Texas... Read more.
|Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau
Public Relations Manager
Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau
Island to Showcase New Family Friendly Events, Victorian Charm for the Holidays
GALVESTON, Texas (Sept. 4, 2018) – The Galveston holiday season is full of tradition – from its world-renowned Dickens on the Strand Victorian Christmas festival to Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens – but this year the island will offer some exciting new additions to make for an even more festive winter getaway.
New this holiday season, Galveston will be a featured host location to Miracle on the Island, an international rotating pop-up bar series serving a themed menu of festive drinks to holiday enthusiasts Nov. 23- Dec. 31. The Miracle Pop-Up Holiday Bar – a prestigious nod in the arts and culture scene – just announced its 2018 host locations, which includes 80 bars around the world and Galveston’s own Daquiri Time Out is among the list.
In addition, downtown Galveston will be illuminated by an extensive lighting and décor overhaul that will encompass the main corridors of the charming historic downtown district from Strand to Postoffice Streets, making it the perfect backdrop for a winter escape. Plus, one of the island’s most popular holiday attractions, ICE LAND, will return to Moody Gardens with a brand new theme: Pole to Pole. The theme will include a festive journey from the North to South Pole featuring polar bears, penguins, humpback whales, snowy owls, walrus and reindeer.
Beyond the exciting new additions to Moody Gardens and downtown Galveston here’s a preview of what is happening on the island throughout the holiday season:
• Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens (Nov. 17-Jan. 6)
• ICE LAND: Pole to Pole (Nov. 17-Jan. 6)
• Holiday Performances at The Grand 1894 Opera House (Nov. 24 – Jan. 12)
• Downtown Shopping in Galveston’s Historic Downtown District (Nov. 23 – Dec. 24)
• Downtown Lanterns & Lights (Nov. 24- Jan. 1)
• Cirque Joyeux Noel Dinner Show at Moody Gardens (Dec. 21- Jan. 4)
• Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez (Nov. 23)
• Home for the Holidays Gift Market at Moody Gardens Convention Center (Nov. 23-24)
• Victorian Holiday Homes Tour (Nov. 30)
• Dickens on the Strand (Nov. 30- Dec. 2)
• Holiday with the Cranes (Dec. 8-9)
• Santa Train at the Galveston Railroad Museum (Dec. 15)
• Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez (Dec. 2, 9, 19 & 23)
• Santa Hustle 5K and Half Marathon (Dec. 15-16)
• Christmas Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez (Dec. 25)
About Galveston Island
Galveston Island is the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas, featuring more than 50 days of holiday festivities and more than 1,000 holiday events during the winter season. The island is home to the largest holiday lighting event on the Gulf Coast, Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens, as well as the nationally known Victorian Christmas festival Dickens on The Strand among many other attractions. For more information on holiday activities, visit www.galveston.com/holidaymagic.
To download Galveston holiday photos, click here.
To download Galveston holiday video footage, click here.